Arturia KeyStep Portable Polyphonic Step Sequencer & Keyboard Controller
KeyStep is a new breed of portable musical tool combining the functionalities of a keyboard controller with a polyphonic step sequencer to control both analog and digital devices.
You need a portable USB MIDI controller but also want a keyboard that provides a musical playing experience? You have some MIDI modules you want to connect as well but don’t want the footprint of a large keyboard? You have modular and analog gear you want to control via CV/GATEs? You want a step sequencer with polyphonic capability that can sync to your favourite modern and vintage gear? If only a single piece of gear could do all of this…
Arturia started by designing their own “slim key” keyboard action, balancing the best features of compact mini-keys with the musicality of full-sized keys into this new keybed. The size, velocity and aftertouch of this new design provide the freedom of portability without sacrificing playability.
They also designed a new polyphonic step-sequencer with 8 programmable memories that you can recall at the turn of knob. You can choose gate times and swing settings instantly to change the feel of your sequenced performance on the fly. Arturia also included the ability to record, overdub, and transpose your sequences in real time and still play the keyboard live.
These features alone would make KeyStep the best portable keyboard controller on the market. But we take it further by giving you a wealth of connectivity options: USB MIDI (of course), standard MIDI in and out (check), clock sync and DIN sync jacks (yes!), and CV/GATE outputs, plus a separate, assignable modulation CV output that can be used with the mod wheel, velocity or aftertouch. To say KeyStep is an amazing little controller does not say enough.
KeyStep was imagined and designed to become the modern musician’s trump-card. Whatever your setup, KeyStep will merge into it to overdrive your workflow and effectiveness. With KeyStep and its range of connections you can control any digital or analog synthesizer from the past, today and even tomorrow. Sequence them all!
- Arturia’s own Slimkey keybed with velocity and aftertouch
- Sustain HOLD button
- Sustain pedal jack
- Chord play mode
- DC jack for standalone operation
- USB MIDI connects to computers and our MCC editor
- MIDI in/out ports
- Capacitive-touch pitch bend and mod wheels
- Each sequence can have 64 steps, each step can have up to 8 notes
- Low power; can be powered by Apple iPad® (camera connection kit required)
- Up, down, inclusive, exclusive, random, note order, double up, double down modes
- 8 polyphonic step-sequences with Rest, Tie, and Legato note entry
Rate control and tap tempo:
- REC, PLAY, and STOP buttons for performance control over the sequencer and arpeggiator
SHIFT button selection:
- MIDI channel selection, GATE time, SWING values
Sync i/o ports:
- Supports 1 pulse per step, 2 PPQ (Korg Volca), 24 PPQ DIN sync, 48 PPQ DIN sync
Sync select switches:
- Internal, USB, MIDI, Clock
- CV supports 1Volt per octave, Volt>Hz modes, Gate output 5V or 12V for modern or vintage gear support
- CV Velo/Aftertouch/Modwheel output